The ENEA Trisaia Research Centre, located at “Trisaia Inferiore", Rotondella (Matera), was founded in 1962 as a centre of reprocessing of the exhausted elements resulting from the nuclear combustion.
In the second half of the 80's, the research center started a process of reconversion of its activities, inside a more general project for the empowerment of scientific and technological structures in the centre and south of Italy, and for the enlargement of its competences through the introduction of new young resources.
Two economic projects were used to finance these targets:
- The Agreement MURST(Italian Ministry of University)-ENEA for the actuation of an intervention program in the Centre of Italy, with the funds of the Legislation 64/1986;
- The Structural Funds of the EU project 1994-1999.
For the strengthening of Trisaia, Intesa Mezzogiorno has decided to realize a series of projects – that are going to be concluded - allowing the Centre to be equipped with remarkable infrastructures, with research labs, with advanced equipments and instruments, and with experimental high technology pilot plants, for a total value of about 72 millions of euros, which will be partially used also for areas outside the Centre (various sites in Calabria). Further investments have been provided by the EU Project of Substain 94-99, and have allowed the realization of some demonstrative centres for the application of innovative systems and technologies, for a global value of about 50 millions per year.
Today ENEA Trisaia represents, under a programming point of view, one of the few Italian centres equipped to do R&D on an engineering and preindustrial scale, on a huge variety of activities:
- Advanced engineering for the eco-sustainable development
- Advanced technical and scientific services
- Integrated innovation centres
- Activity of conditioning of nuclear waste coming from the reprocessing campaigns of the exhausted combustible.
Trisaia is also the operative and legal premise of some participated companies (Consortiums TRAIN, TRE, CALEF, PROCOMP).